Virginia Jean Cox Mitchell, detail of
Bill Willie’s Factotum Whirligig
Quilts by Yoshiko Jinzenji and Virginia Jean Cox Mitchell
Opens at the Spencer Museum at the University of Kansas this Saturday and will be on display from
February 8 through May 18, 2014.
Detail of Color II
- February 19, Wednesday. The Friends of the Art Museum will hold a reception for the artists from 5:30 to 7:30.
- February 22, Saturday. Yoshiko Jinzenji will discuss her work at 2:00.
- March 2, Sunday. Curator Susan Earle will guide a tour of the exhibit from 2:00 to 3:00.
- March 15, Saturday. Children’s Programming. Saturday Art Adventure. Quilt Geometry, children 5-8. 10:30-11:30.
- April 10, Thursday. Senior Session: Personal Geometry. Curator Susan Earle guides a gallery tour of the exhibit from 10:00 to 11:00. Senior Sessions are open to everyone but designed with the comfort of senior citizens in mind.
- April 13, Sunday.
- New Directions/Historical Forms. Gallery Tour 2-3.
- April 15, Tuesday. 1:30. Virginia Jean Cox Mitchell will discuss her work at Spencer after the April KVQG meeting.
Quilt historian Barbara Brackman will give a gallery tour of the exhibit, discussing traditional needlework techniques behind these nontraditional quilts. We'll look at global influences from Japanese patchwork to English stumpwork through antique pieces from the Museum's collection and Barbara's.
See more here: